Thursday, November 1, 2012

Grandpa Campbell, We Will Miss You

My favorite picture of Vance is one where he and Cole are standing on the back deck of their home, reminiscing about the world.  Cole offering up the excitement of a world ahead of him while Vance provides the knowledge and guidance of his experiences through life.  Both offering so much to each other. Both excited to share with each other and to dream together about tomorrow.

Today many of us have had the opportunity to reminisce about Vance and his life, just as he did with Cole on that beautiful September day.  What an opportunity it has been for me.

My favorite memories come from all 41 years of knowing him. One of my first memories of Vance was visiting both grandma and grandpa at their house in Farmington.  As my mother and I drove in to the driveway Vance would boom out "WHO GOES THERE?" in his deepest voice, and I knew I was home.  I would run up and give him a huge hug and feel as if there were no cares in the world.

For the first time I have so much to say, but cannot find the words that give justice to who Vance truly was.  If only I could share with you the stories about Vance and how he touched the lives of everyone who came in to contact with him.  Today though, it is too raw, the feelings too great and I feel I could only do injustice to him.  So I ask you to take a moment and share your favorite story about Vance that we may all celebrate his life and experience.

For now all I can say is thank you for 41 amazing years of your time.  We love you and miss you, and wish you God's speed in your return home.


0 comments: